Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Fifty Shades of Grey

Spanking Classics » Off Topic Discussions » 2012 - January to December » Fifty Shades of Grey « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarab
Advanced Spanko
Username: Sarab

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone read this book?
What are your thoughts?
The author is making the talk show/news circuit here in the U.S. promoting her book.

This is from Wiki:
Fifty Shades of Grey is a New York Times bestselling erotic fiction paperback and e-book by E.L. James. Set largely in Seattle, the trilogy traces the deepening relationship between college graduate Ana Steele and a young business magnate, Christian Grey. It is notable for its explicitly erotic scenes featuring elements of BDSM.

SaraB
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Somewhere between "Raising Hell and Amazing Grace"!

Kimmy
Supreme Senior Spanko
Username: Kimmy

Post Number: 6337
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read all three in the series...They're fun to read, although her writing is a bit too flowery for me. They are fast, interesting reads, and have very little to do with BDSM...The sex, though, is really HOT!
"Oh for a life of sensations rather than thoughts..." Keats

"Risk-taking, trust, and serendipity are key ingredients of joy. Without risk, nothing new ever happens. Without trust, fear creeps in. Without serendipity, there are no surprises." -- Rita Golden Gelman, Author of Tales of a Female Nomad.

The only GOOD wood, is CHARCOAL!!!

Sarab
Advanced Spanko
Username: Sarab

Post Number: 3266
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Kimmy!

I've finished that first book...and agree that it is hot!
I'm starting book two...real soon!

SaraB
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Somewhere between "Raising Hell and Amazing Grace"!

Penny
Spanko
Username: Penny

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just started reading the first book, and yes I agree with Kimmy the author is very descriptive: sometimes too descriptive.

There was so much hype about the book that Bluestar suggested I find out what it was all about.

It's almost a how to book for entering into a D/s relationship. There's some good information in that book pertaining to negotiating, safe sex, D/s contracts, safewords etc. I can see it becoming a must read for inexperienced subs or doms.
I change like the wind. It makes life so much more interesting.

Wifarf
Advanced Spanko
Username: Wifarf

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read the entire trilology and found it to be a really good series. In fact, I regularly broke my bedtime because I was reading it!

I'm not as impressed with her depiction of Christian as a very troubled man who can't connect with women except through control. I think that could give some people the wrong idea about ttwd and make it more about only those with 'issues' would go to that lifestyle.

I did, however, really like how she showed that once their relationship deepened, that Ana started to initiate that type of relationship on her own. That made it better for me in terms of not making ttwd something off the wall.

I would recommend it to everyone!
I'm not the brat! She is!

Bluestar
Intermediate Spanko
Username: Bluestar

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Penny said, she has been reading the first book. I have heard about it at work as a lot of the women are reading it. A couple of them have suggested I read the book. If only they knew just a little about me.

I look at this book and from the reviews I've seen, The women that have read it have said they don't like the bondage. Funny they never mentioned that they don't like the discipline.

I wonder Peter if spanking sites will get a whole lot more members.

Bluestar
Intermediate Spanko
Username: Bluestar

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wifarf: I have read the entire trilology and found it to be a really good series. In fact, I regularly broke my bedtime because I was reading it!

So Wifarf after breaking bedtime reading Fifty Shades of Grey, does that mean you experienced a few Shades of Red

Peter
Awesome Spanking Wizards (Moderator)
Username: Peter

Post Number: 11797
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a lady friend who is into spanking and BDSM and she has read all three books and enjoyed them.

Bluestar, if the book generated more members of spanking sites, I'm sure we'd all be happy. For information we get new members joining Classics every day but unfortunately few of them bother to post. I assume they are joining to read the stories here.

In my life I have been many people, yet I am still Me.

Wifarf
Advanced Spanko

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Bluestar: LOLOLOL! Unfortunately, no. I currently work in a different city during the week and so our dynamic is a little off kilter. Sort of a hiatus, I guess you could say. I try to keep my bedtime myself as I know that I do much better if I am rested.

Little_h
New Spanko
Username: Little_h

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the books! They may not have been the best written books I've ever read but they were enjoyable to me and certainly did the job.
I'd recommend them... also I'm in love with Mr Grey, I don't care what anyone says :P

Wishfulthinking
Supreme Senior Spanko
Username: Wishfulthinking

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am half way through the last book and am thoroughly enjoying them. Yes, of course they are a bit far fetched to think they would meet and be discussing a multi page contract for a D/s relationship in a matter of a couple days but that is why it is called erotic FICTION.

I LOVED the banter in Ana's head between her inner goddess and her more reserved side. Also the subject lines and signatures on the emails they passed back and forth were a hoot. He thought he was going to train a sub but didn't know who he was dealing with. LOL Definitely a fun read.
Yes, I've been a naughty girl. Is there a problem with that?

Rosesforwriters
Spanko
Username: Rosesforwriters

Post Number: 554
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want to start these books, honestly. If only I had time... *sigh*
-Whats kickin, honeybun? :D
-You are when I'm spanking you... :-(

Wishfulthinking
Supreme Senior Spanko
Username: Wishfulthinking

Post Number: 5387
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say it was to my great enjoyment that I listened to the debate of my VERY vanilla coworkers discussing these books today. Several have read them or are in the process of reading them and it was quite fun to listen to their comments on some of the "kinky fuckery" that goes on in these books. If they only knew.........
Yes, I've been a naughty girl. Is there a problem with that?

Merna
Intermediate Spanko
Username: Merna

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My local library has 2 copies of these books on audio CD. I am number 4 on the wait list. They have several copies of the paper book also and the wait list is about 19!

Victory
Advanced Spanko
Username: Victory

Post Number: 4324
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to read it!
Life is like a garbage sandwich; the more bread one has the less garbage one has to eat.

Badgirljo
Advanced Spanko
Username: Badgirljo

Post Number: 3869
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did buy the first book but my mates 18 year old daughter pinched it off me, so I will have to wait til she has finished...grrrrrrrr...lol
I was once a frightened and timid young girl
but now I have grown, and this is because of you, YOU did your job right hun, I am now flying free xx

Spanku72
New Spanko
Username: Spanku72

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fiance and I both read it in one weekend.
Spanku72

Sniffles55
Advanced Spanko
Username: Sniffles55

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the trilogy and enjoyed it very much. My neighbor has borrowed the third book from me.
Nora

Angelbrat
Advanced Spanko
Username: Angelbrat

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told my mom to buy this for me as a birthday present So now Im wondering if she will do so or "forget" about it
Im not a bitch.
I just have a low bullshit tolerance.

Merna
Intermediate Spanko

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I finally got to the top of the wait list from my library and I have read book 1 and book 3, (still waiting for book 2, but I read ahead anyway.) I really like them. I read a review by a person who is clearly not into TTWD, but still liked the books because of the love relationship. Reviewer read some other true BDSM books and realized that what happens in the Grey books is really more erotic than it is BDSM. I agreed with her.

Peter
Awesome Spanking Wizards (Moderator)
Username: Peter

Post Number: 11865
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is interesting now is that people in both UK and USA who run women's shelters and the like are saying these books are terribly abusive and they are calling for book burning sessions.

In my life I have been many people, yet I am still Me.

Merna
Intermediate Spanko

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How interesting..., the one that was abused, was Grey, as a child. He has some abusive thoughts that are expressed, but he controls them, largely because of his love for Ana. And he has trouble believing that anyone could love him. I wonder if this is what the concern is? There is some mental abuse between Grey and Ana as their relationship develops, but it is not intentional. I've read lots of vanilla books that have abuse in them. I wonder if these book burning aficionados are out for all books containing abuse, or just the popular ones.

Incidentally, it has been a major complaint of mine, since my children got a little older, about the reading material required in school. Just at the age when they are going through their own personal growth crises (PMS, etc.), the school starts them reading all sorts of "classics" that involve tortured feelings, shooting one's best friend to save him from the law (Of Mice and Men), and really depressing stuff. I complained to my child's high school teacher, and she said that books with a more pleasant story line contain "off color" material that isn't appropriate for children. By this I took to her to mean of sexual connotation. What??? I thought? It's not ok to have a little sexual innuendo in their reading, but murder and mayhem is OK? No wonder we are sooo messed up as a society.. we teach it in our schools.

Victory
Advanced Spanko
Username: Victory

Post Number: 4329
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta read the books so I'll know what I'm talking about when I hear vanillas mention them!
Life is like a garbage sandwich; the more bread one has the less garbage one has to eat.

Aglaranna
Spanko
Username: Aglaranna

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read the first novel. I am unsure why so many women like Grey because I don't, he is too moody and serious, too possessive, too generous and expects to know everything when a lot of stuff just isn't his business - even moreso given the books short time-frame. I could have been reading stories on this site by far better authors.

I've only read the first novel and while I don't think it is abusive, people who see abuse day in day out would be more likely to take an extreme view - maybe they need to make a lot of noise (book burning etc) to be noticed to promote their cause? The author over-uses the word "hit" which has negative connotations with domestic violence when she could have used other words. I've a friend who compared Grey to Black Jack Randall (Jamie Fraser's tormenter) and other friends who have told me it is about sex slavery (?!) - perhaps the author could have made more of an effort to show consent especially in the beginning of the series. I know women who love the series and rave about it, and I know men who love the book yet have no intentions to read...

Aimee
Junior Spanko
Username: Aimee

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read all three and I loved them and they were hot! I liked Christian I wish my husband was a little more dominant... we are working on all of that slowly.

Neenee21
New Spanko
Username: Neenee21

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read all three books. I started actively seeking spanking sights after I read them.

Wifarf
Advanced Spanko

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... and found us! Welcome neenee21!

Aglaranna
Spanko
Username: Aglaranna

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2012 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Neenee :-)

Has anyone read Anne Rice's "Sleeping Beauty" series? I bought a copy for my cousin for Christmas and had a quick flick through, seems weird and a bit dark and I am thinking if it was hard cover I would be reading it before I give to her.

Yorkie69
Intermediate Spanko
Username: Yorkie69

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, welcome Neenee. I wonder if I can read these books with only my wife knowing?
Nothing says "I love you" like a warm bottom

Merna
Spanko

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aglaranna,
I read the first "Sleeping Beauty" several years ago. Some of it was pretty intriguing, but it went a little too far into the non-consensual for me. I had bought it from the used book store at the library. Didn't quite realize what it was until started reading it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page