Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Romance novels

Spanking Classics » Spanking Discussions » 2008 - Jan thru to Dec » 2008 - March » Romance novels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shewolf
Senior Spanko
Username: Shewolf

Post Number: 12001
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the thread about how early some of us became spanko’s, I noticed that a lot of us have grown up reading romance novels. I know I did…both because I love romance, and because it was the only place you could almost always find a spanking or two. I would devour book after book, always hoping I had hit the jackpot. Titles and pictures were pored over as well, hoping for a clue into the dominance of the man involved and the possibility for old fashioned spanking. And when I found a really good one…it was read and re-read until the copy became so worn it was almost illegible.

These books fashioned all my early thoughts about spanking. How a strong dominant man wouldn’t put up with my bratty ways, that he would resort to over the knee treatment if I didn’t behave as he saw fit or got myself into trouble. That some men felt “responsible” for a woman they cared for, and that responsibility manifested itself in spankings when that woman got out of hand. Each warning given only ratcheted my pulse up higher…and if there was a really decent spanking (not just 3 swats over clothes) then I would have to stop to ease my arousal someway.

Nowadays, most romances rarely let the hero spank the heroine…it’s just not PC. Why was spanking so prevalent in the older books? Was it a sign of the times? A lack of feminism in the novels? Perhaps it was just easier for a spank happy novelist to write those kinds of stories, and at least know she’d be published. Whatever the reason, I miss those old books and wondering when I read the titles if I was in for a guilty treat. Perhaps they made me the romance loving, submissive that I am today? Maybe this is something only someone my age would understand? Did spanking in romance novels shape you in some way? Did they cause you to want a dominant man, one who would spank you if need be? Or were they just fun reads that satisfied your need to voyeur someone’s spanking?

I still keep my eyes open for old Harlequin romance’s with spankings in them. Anyone have any good ones they want to share/trade?
Embrace me, you sweet embraceable you
Embrace me, you irreplaceable you
Don't be a naughty baby, come to me and make my dreams come true
You sweet embraceable you

wolfie[D]

Southern_belle
Junior Spanko
Username: Southern_belle

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must admit, I enjoy the spanking scenes in the old romance novels. I don't think I love the dominant men (in fact most of the ones i enjoy today are a little more egalitarian - I'm not really into dominance), but i definitely got that voyeuristic thrill reading about a woman getting a spanking.

"Jade Star" by Catherine Coulter has a fairly decent scene in it about two thirds of the way through (bare bottom with a nice threat for more at a later date). I don't love her old books - too many rape scenes, but I was pleasantly surprised to come across the spanking in this one.

Missscarlett
New Spanko
Username: Missscarlett

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must admit before i discovered the internet i spent a lot of time reading historical romance novels during my teens and i of course especially enjoyed the spanking scenes in them.

i remember a lot of Johanna Lindseys books contained spanking scences in them such as 'Brave the Wild Wind', 'Captive Bride', 'Keeper of the Heart'(futuristic) and 'Once a princess'(one of my faves).

Also 'Whitney my love' and 'A keeper of Dreams' by Judith Mc naught also had spanking in them.

I remember two books i read had been re-edited quite recently a good 10/20 years after they were first published but without the spanking scenes in them. i guess this shows that its not considered pc anymore which is a bit of a shame.
If you cant see it.......its not there!

Sniffles55
Intermediate Spanko
Username: Sniffles55

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had so many of the romance books that I donated them to the public library. I hated to part with them, but I just didn't have the space to store them anymore. I think I may have a few left. I'm not getting rid of them.

Nora

Bluemonday
New Spanko
Username: Bluemonday

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never really read romance novels, mostly because I don't think the writing is very good. The closest I came was gothic romances as a teenager such as Victoria Holt (as I was very into mysteries: loved Perry Mason, etc.)
The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more. --Colleen McCullough

Lunacyn
Spanko
Username: Lunacyn

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the title of the one I found and read over and over. I'm pretty sure it was by Johanna Lindsey though. Something about a girl captured by pirates and, of course, spanked by the captain for being a brat. (She threw a heavy lamp at him, narrowly missing his head).

I don't think reading these books caused me to want a dominant man or shaped my desires much. I was already making up fantasies about spankings and dominance long before I happened upon any of those books. They definitely helped satisfy my desperate need for anything about spanking at the time.

Dlc
Intermediate Spanko
Username: Dlc

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel a little left out. I was such a nerd in collage and spent all my time reading the 'extra reading' stuff from class. When I got married, my husband was a John Gresham fan so I would pick up some of his books and read them. I enjoyed those too.

It wasn't until recently that I discovered the whole romance novel thing. Unfortunately, time prevents me from reading more but I have found a few I enjoy. I have to agree with Bluemonday becasue some of the books I have started were so lame and poorly written that I coundn't finish them.

A friend gave me a series of books by Jude Deveroux called the 'Velvet' Series. Oh my goodness!!!
I read all 4 books in two weeks. My husband was so mad that I spend all of my time reading instead of spending it with him but I couldn’t put them down.. Very romantic....
Anyway, he was happy later, (Romance novels can put a girl in a very accommodating mood)

I haven't read a lot but if anyone has read a really great one, one that they can't put down, then let me know.

Buzzsawgirl
Spanko
Username: Buzzsawgirl

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dlc are these current books? Because if they are I'd be really surprised to find spanking in them (not PC now) - of course I'd also be thrilled.
"You bad man! Gimme my beads!" Shirley Temple in "Curlytop"
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." MLK

Dlc
Intermediate Spanko

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzz,I really have no idea when the 'Velvet' books were written, but I did buy them at Boorder Bookstore last year so they can't be that out of date.
There was a good spankig scene in one of them but I'll have to go back and check.. Oh well any excuse to re read a good book.

Buzzsawgirl
Spanko

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only ONE?? Hmmm, that might drive me nuts, expecting it and only getting it once in 4 books.

Dlc
Intermediate Spanko

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it wasn't just the spanking it was the tough, handsome, misunderstood, domineering man thing with the strong willed, independent beautiful girly thing. You know, like in real life.

Buzzsawgirl
Spanko

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm ruined for mainstream fiction.

Shewolf
Senior Spanko

Post Number: 12012
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Velvet series came out in the 70's. I've always enjoyed Johanna Lindsey...her early books could be quite abusive of the woman, but later ones dealt in spankings now and again. "Keeper of my heart" has lots of threats and 2 spankings, it's a favorite of mine.

For those who enjoy bdsm with their spankings...Eden Bradley is someone I've recently discovered and like. Her stories all have good plots, the characters are likable and the feelings are real. She really understands the things she writes about, no mamby pamby spanks here.

Strangely enough, a lot of my earlier romance novels that included spanking took place in Australia. Maybe we should ask Sam about that?

wolfie[D]

Daisy_may
New Spanko
Username: Daisy_may

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. Newbie here. Hope you don't mind me joining in with conversation. I loved the Mills and Boon romances as a young girl and I too was thrilled if I happened to discover a spanking in one. I'm a sucker for strong, stern handsome men! One of my favourites is To Tame a Vixen by Anne Hampson and another is Wool Kingby Kerry Allyne, in fact several of her books have spankings in them and yes, most are set in Australia. I think the idea of the Outback being no place for a feminine woman(!) and where men have to be men is what makes them such a suitable location.

Any suggestions for mainstream spanking books greatfully received - but I like the romantic, not erotic types.

Dlc
Intermediate Spanko

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daisy I have the same likes as you. I also prefer romantic stories to erotic stories but I also find I have the same problem.Its hard to find a good romantic spanking book with out the deep erotic stuff. I haven't read a lot of them but the basic romance novels are your best bet. I think you'll find a few authors that have been mentioned on this thread..
Have fun and if you find a good one let me know.

Rachel
Junior Spanko
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are bringing up books that I read like 25 years ago. Funny how us spankos have read the same thing, but find each other here. I used to devour these books. I still wish I had them. I used to buy books, and then years later videos, and then I would feel so guilty thinking that I was the only one in the world that felt this way, and then I would put them in the garbage.

Shewolf
Senior Spanko

Post Number: 12022
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daisy, I still own "the Wool King".

I'm confused what you mean when you say "erotic" though. Are you looking for a romance novel with spanking but no sex? Some of the older books would have minimal sex, since that was a sign of the times...but almost impossible to find today.

wolfie[D]

Daisy_may
New Spanko

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Shewolf. Yes, I mean books with spanking but minimal sex. I've led a very sheltered life

Shewolf
Senior Spanko

Post Number: 12031
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont mean to give offense...but dont you like sex? Or do you just want your life to stay sheltered?

As for the books and stories...like I said, older romance novels would have a lot less sex in them. It just wasnt done in those days. You could also look in domestic discipline or HOH (Head of Household) websites. Since most of the people in those kinds of relationships are married, there's little need to write about sex. Good luck with your search. :-)

wolfie[D]

Dlc
Intermediate Spanko

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me sometimes the 'erotic' sex I don't like is the rough sex or maybe the more non-traditional type of explicit sex. I also don't like force or abusive stuff either.

Daisy_may
New Spanko

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh Shewolf, I'm not quite sure how to answer that. I've been married for over 20 years but my husband is the only man I've ever (gosh, this is embarrassing) slept with. I still get embarrassed if anything with sex in it comes on the TV if MOH is in the room and as for my parents...!

Sex just hasn't been a big part of my life. I suppose after 20 years of marriage that's to be expected although I do admit to wishing sometimes that MOH was a little keener.

Shewolf
Senior Spanko

Post Number: 12036
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmm, ok...not sure what to say after that.

Daisy does your husband spank you for discipline or erotic purposes? Do you think he just is satified with your sex life, or might he be open to more if he thought you were interested? If this is too personal, just let me know. :-)

wolfie[D]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page